Halloween parade to return to Southend 'bigger and better'
By Jessica Day-Parker in www.echo-news.co.uk
A spectacular family fun day is planned for Southend seafront as the Southend Halloween Parade returns to the city this autumn.
Thousands flocked to the seafront last year to enjoy the town's first ever Halloween parade. Spectators enjoyed a procession, street theatre drummers, dancing and a lights display. The inaugural parade ended with a spectacular fireworks display and was hailed a success.
Now the free event will return to the city on Saturday, October 29.
It is being organised by Southend City Council with the Southend Tourism Partnership, and they want the community to get involved and join the parade again.
Jacqui Dallimore, chair of Southend Tourism Partnership, said: "The Southend Tourism Partnership are delighted to see the return the Halloween Parade, as last year's event was hugely popular with both residents and visitors. We're looking forward to showcasing the community's artistic flare with amazing professional looking entries that will be a fitting celebration of Southend's City status."
Cllr Carole Mulroney, cabinet member for environment, culture, tourism and planning, said: "I am delighted that the Southend Halloween Parade has become a permanent fixture on the Southend City calendar, and we want it to be bigger and better each year. Involvement from local businesses and community groups will bring us together and put the parade on the map and become vital for our economic recovery. We are aiming to attract visitors from far and wide to jump on the train and arrive early to enjoy everything Southend has to offer before they join with us in a magical evening of spookiness and an amazing Halloween Parade."
For details on how to apply go to www.southendhalloween.org.