Jill Allen-King OBE
Contact Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org
Locally born and bred, Jill lives in Blenheim Park Ward and has lived in Westcliff for nearly 60 years. Awarded the OBE for her voluntary work in 2012, one of her proudest achievements is playing a leading role in the introduction of tactile paving at pedestrian crossings.
Jill is currently working for local residents on local train and bus user groups, and hopes to be able to use her skills and experience to fight for Blenheim Park residents on Southend Council.
- Launched Southend branch of National Federation of the Blind in 1974.
- Founder member of Southend Access Committee.
- Rep with Royal National Institute for the Blind for 30 years.
- Worked with Department for Transport for 20 years, playing a key role in the introduction of tactile paving at pedestrian crossings and low floor buses.
- Chair of European Blind Union Commission on Mobility and Guide Dogs for 16 years.
- Trustee of Research Institute for Disabled Consumers for 15 years.
- Patron of Trustlinks, the local mental health charity.
- Produced a tape magazine for blind people on mobility and transport for the charity Living Without Sight for 15 years.
- Awarded MBE in 1983.
- Awarded OBE in 2012.